Every teacher wants their students to succeed. Not one teacher out there hopes that there students will perform poorly. So… if there was a simple, easy to implement process that would take your students’ passing rate from 50% to 96% you would jump right on it. Right?
Well, here is Shantell Berrett, Reading Horizons Teacher Trainer and Dyslexia Specialist, sharing why a simple strategy called dictation can dramatically boost passing rates simply by tweaking the way information is presented AND how to use this strategy. The best part? It’s so easy to implement:
So… how do you implement this simple and powerful process of dictation?
Step 1: You (as the teacher or tutor) say the word twice (this can be a word you are having the student read, or a word that is part of their spelling or vocabulary list).
Step 2: Have the students’ say the word back twice.
Step 3: Have the students’ write the word once.
Here are the results of one teacher that was trained by Jay Kelly (as mentioned in the video), after using this process for just 2 weeks:
- 25 students in her mainstream 6th grade class.
- 18 mainstream.
- 7 receive special services.
- Normally about 50% (12-13) of students pass the vocabulary tests.
- The only thing she did differently in this case was to introduce the words using dictation and give the test using dictation.
- This time 96% (24/25) passed.
- All 7 special services students passed.
- The only student who didn't pass refused to say the words back.
The only student who didn't pass refused to participate in the process.
How’s that for powerful results? From 50% passing rate to 96%! And the only student who didn’t pass refused to participate.