Do your students struggle with spelling? Do they spell words correctly on Friday during your weekly spelling test but spell the same words incorrectly on Monday? Are you doing weekly spelling tests just to check a box?
You are not the first teacher to ask these questions. Our curriculum team here at Reading Horizons has been working on a solution to the weekly spelling tests and other spelling issues. We are proud to announce the release of the Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement.
This new spelling supplement doesn’t focus on words and the weekly spelling test only. Research has shown that when teachers focus on phonics instruction and on helping their students understand the rules of the English language, their students’ spelling improves.
The reason for this is because students go from simply memorizing a list of words to understanding why words are spelled the way that they are spelled.
The new Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement aims to change the way that spelling instruction is implemented in the classroom through several resources. These resources are: instructor cards, a review activities manual, student engagement resources, and a teacher resources manual.
• 15-20 minutes of daily, explicit, systematic, sequential spelling instruction and assessment to complement the Reading Horizons Discovery reading program
• 36 weeks of lessons to cover the entire school year
• Pre-tests for each lesson
• Two post-tests for each lesson
• Word lists aligned with the Reading Horizons Discovery instructional sequence, content area words (e.g. math and science), and Most Common Words
Review Activities Manual:
• Review activities for every six weeks of spelling instruction
• Cumulative assessment to ensure mastery
• Scripted practice and application activities that can be used by teachers, parents, paraprofessionals, or volunteers in whole-class, small-group, or one-on-one settings
Student Engagement Resources:
• Word sorts
• Cloze passages
• Writing prompts
• Homework pages
Teacher Resources Manual:
• In-depth information about the Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement
• Answer key and scoring information for each pre- and post-test
• A variety of student activities for differentiated and cumulative practice and application
• Timeline information
To see what these resources look like, you can watch this unboxing video of the Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement here.
More information about the Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement and a free sample can be found here. You can also listen to episode 3 of our podcast, Podclassed, here. You can also always contact a Reading Horizons specialist to get more information on the Reading Horizons Discovery Spelling Supplement here.