Interactive Reading Activities - Software
See the Reading Horizons Discovery software in action:Request a Free Software Trial
Fun & Engaging Reading Games
Six original language-related games reinforce lesson material and motivate students to master each concept. Games are unlocked and students earn playing time as they complete tasks in the lesson and vocabulary sections of the software. Teachers can adjust settings to limit or extent student access.
The games included are:
- Card Match – students match words to their corresponding pictures.
- Whack a Word – the narrator says a word and students have to spell the word by selecting the correct letters from moles that are popping up and down in the dirt.
- Cannon Blast – students select words that follow different phonetic rules to protect their treasure from the pirates!
- Letter Leap – students practice their spelling and reading fluency by spelling a missing word from a sentence by guiding a frog to the lily pads containing the correct letters.
- Safari Run – as students properly decode words they earn melons that they can throw at monkeys to prevent them from stealing bananas.
- Dino Drop – students navigate pterodactyls’ to pick up and drop eggs with letters that are needed to complete words.
Three mini-games are also included to break up long lessons and tests – helping to increase student engagement.
Vocabulary Word Wall
Each time a student correctly spells and decodes a word in the lesson material, the word is automatically added to the Vocabulary Word Wall. Students can visit their Word Wall at any time and review the words they have learned. Each word is marked, defined, used in a context sentence, and has a corresponding picture when applicable. There are over 2,200 words that students can master through the vocabulary section of the software.
Teachers can also access the Vocabulary Preview Tool to project vocabulary terms for their entire class to work on at the same time.
ABC Say / ABC Draw
Students can master each of the 42 sounds of the alphabet using the ABC Say tool. This tool shows animated cutaways to show the proper tongue placement for pronouncing each sound of the English language. Students can also watch videos showing proper mouth movements for each sound. Students equipped with a microphone can record themselves practicing each sound and compare their pronunciation to the narrator’s.
Students can also access the ABC Draw feature to learn how to write each of the letters in the English alphabet.
64 Lexiled© Reading Passages for Grades K-3
Sixty-four full-color, age-appropriate stories contain controlled vocabulary and original illustrations that correlate to the lesson material in the Reading Horizons Discovery software. The stories help students transfer decoding skills to written text while building reading fluency and comprehension.
Each passage is Lexiled© and includes text that is 90%-100% decodable. The stories range in topic and are a mix of both fiction and nonfiction – making the program further align to the Common Core State Standards. Students can read the passages to themselves or elect to have a narrator read the passage while they follow along. After students read a story, they answer comprehension questions to assure understanding.
The Clubhouse Store motivates students by allowing them to use the coins they’ve earned throughout the software to purchase new items for customizing their clubhouse.