Reading Library Assessment
Powered by the Lexile® Framework for Reading
The Reading Library Assessment is powered by the Lexile® Framework for Reading and was created in partnership with MetaMetrics® to identify and monitor each student’s Lexile measure within the Reading Horizons Elevate software.
- The Reading Library Assessment provides an initial Lexile measure to serve as a benchmark for gauging student progress.
- The initial Reading Library Assessment unlocks Lexile-leveled reading passages in the software that match a student’s reading level.
- The Lexile measure can be used to help students find reading material that matches their reading ability outside of the software.
- The assessment is given periodically throughout the course of software instruction to show reading improvement.
- Student data is compiled for educators in the Student Summary Report and that can be viewed in the software administration system.
Lexile-leveled Reading Passages
Over 280 Lexile-leveled reading passages help students convert decoding skills into reading fluency and comprehension through both direct instruction and the software. The passages have been Lexile-leveled and include high-interest topics in 17 different genres. On the software, access to higher level passages is unlocked as students complete lesson material and raise their reading level.
Upon opening each reading passage, students can review a list of challenge words included in the passage. Students are then timed as they read the passage, which is then followed with a list of comprehension questions. Based on both the time and accuracy that students read each passage, students receive points for the passage and their reading level is calculated.
To appeal to the varying interests of your student population, passages are included that cover 17 different genres—including: health, occupations, sports, animals, science, travel, and many others. The passages were written to provide low-level reading practice to older students while appealing to their maturity level.
To learn more about Lexile Levels, visit our free resource.
For Grades K-3
- Product Overview
- Professional Development
- Direct Instruction Materials
- Spelling Supplement
- Interactive Software
- Mobile Applications