Reading Horizons has opened my students' eyes to what it's like to have success in Reading. My students, in past years, were constantly frustrated with the programs we have provided for interventions in Reading. I felt that the students would hit a ceiling and then give up with little movement in their oral fluency scores. Behavior problems would then occur to avoid working with any element that involved Reading. Now... with the Reading Horizons program... my students are starting to feel success. The students are actively engaged in class and they constantly ask to go on the software. When I give Spelling tests, the students are utilizing the markings (how they mark up their words in Reading Horizons) to assist them in spelling out the assigned words! I have many students who have very short attention spans and the time on
These are sentences from Reading Horizons students in my Learning Support Classroom.
1. David: "You learn your vowels, how to read, and spell words. You can learn how to arch it and mark it. I'm not scared to read. You can earn coins and trophies by working hard and passing
2. Dior: "I like proving words. It is helping me to read."
3. Earl: "I feel like I can read better."
4. Marjai: "I like the games. I learned about
5. Tyler: "Every time I pass a lesson I get more books to read and games. I also like learning new skills from the lesson."
6. Isaiah: "I like reading books on the computer. I like how it teaches me words I didn't know before. I get to play fun games."
7. Eddie: "It's kind of cool. You earn coins through the lessons.
8. Anthony: "I can work smart and it helps me learn to spell words."
9. Jemiyah: "It's helping me learn my words better. I like the trophies and the coins."